Winter Lesson Series
The 2021 Winter Lesson Series will be at His Way Farm every other Weekend
Welcome to the 9th year for the Winter Lesson Series! We are happy to announce thst both Saturdays and Sundays will be at His Way Farm,
Dates for Lessons
- January 9 - 10
- January 23 - 24
- February 6 - 7
- February 20 - 21
- March 6 - 7
- March 22 - 23
His Way Farm Notes
If you have not been to His Way Farm before, click here for a link to a Google Map map for directions. A GPS will NOT send you on a horse trailer route. You DO NOT want to come via Teegarden Rd as it has a steep hills with S turns that aren't the best for a truck and trailer. Use caution when on the driveway as the only good place to pass is on the sharp turn about half way down the drive.
Due to COVID the lounge will be closed until further notice. face masks will be required unless mounted and please practice social distancing. There will be a table on the lower level between the barn and the arena where a schedule will be posted on an envelop which is for payment. You can pay online, by check or cash. Make checks payable to Stone Gate LLC. If you are paying cash, please make note on the schedule.
If you need to use the restroom, you can use the one located in the tackroom. Go through the metal through the door near the table and go past the stalls and into the tackroom. The rest room will be to your left.
For those who are stabled, please refer to the map on this page for directions. The stalls must be left clean. Those who are not stabling will enter the arena at the far end. Please check before open the door so as to not spook anyone's horses.
You are welcome to get on early and walk your horses as 1/3 of the arena will not have any jumps.
- In order to give everyone a fair chance at getting a spot we will ONLY accept registrations 1 month at a time and they will have a specific opening date which will be the 4th Saturday of the month at 9:00 PM. So mark your calendars.
- February Lessons – January 24
- March Lessons – February 24
- You may sign up for stalls at the same time as you sign up for lessons or add them later. However stalls are limited at His Way Farm. PLEASE leave the stalls clean!
- Everyone, not just riders , MUST sign a SGF & HWF electronic release form (new one needed every year) before the lesson.
PLEASE READ the following BEFORE signing up.
- To fill out the form simply scroll down to the date and location that you are interested in and hit the SIGN UP button and the hit the SIGN UP & SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.
- A new page will pop up that will ask for your name, e-mail, phone number and comment. If you already have an account you simply need to log in.
- Groups will be put together based on compatibility and time constraints. Please be sure to include the following in the comment section in the following ORDER:
- level of horse/rider
- any time constraints or requests?
- trailering partner if applicable
- horse’s name ONLY if riding more than one horse
- indicate if you can ride on either Sat or Sun in case we have to move someone.
- If riding more than ONE horse, please register each horse separately, DO NOT hit the number in the quantity button
- Please make stall requests on the sign up so we can get an accurate number
- If all the spots a filled, sign up for the ‘wait list’ and check your e-mails as spots often open up and we can fit you in.
After you have submitted your registration you may go back in and edit your submission at any time to change anything in the comment section, change the rider’s name, or delete the registration. All changes will be e-mailed directly to me to keep me up to date. There is no need to send me an additional e-mail.
- To edit your submission go back back to the confirmation e-mail and click on the Edit Sign Up tab which is on the lower left of the e-mail
- If you are signing up for someone else please use the drop down menu where you can add the name of the person participating and then click the Update button.
- If you are deleting your registration simply click on the Delete tab and then the Update button.
- I will start working on the schedule early to mid week before lessons, if you have any changes or requests please let me know ASAP as it is infinitely easier to manage those requests before I schedule.
- Due to multiple rides, people trailering partners and no one living nearby, trying to accommodate everyone’s scheduling requests is not always possible.
- The schedule will be finalized the Thursday before lessons and posted on the SGF Facebook page, on the SGF website as well as an e-mail reminder. Please confirm that you received the schedule. and that you are still planning on coming.
- If you need to scratch please delete your name from the list soon as you know so we can try to fill the spot with someone from the waiting list.
- Any withdrawals after the Thurs before the lesson will be expected to pay unless the spot can be filled from the wait list or unless the weather conditions are unsafe for travel.
Fees: May pay online, by check or cash. Make checks payable to Stone Gate LLC
- Lesson: $40
- $20 @ His Way Farm ( limited)
Dates & Lesson Descriptions
January 9 & 10: Developing Focus, Balance and more – This lesson will begin with flat work using HorsePhysio exercises designed to improve the rhythm, straightness and balance of the horse & rider through the use of ground pokes and cavaletti. The lesson will move forward to jumping which will be improved after working on the exercises …. at least that’s what we’ll be working towards
January 23 & 24 Gymnastics: There will be 3 different gymnastics set up with something for every rider and every horse no matter the level to help both rider and horse improve their jumping skills.
February 6 & 7: Finding a distance aka It's all about the 'quality' of the canter: Riders will work on exercises that will help them to develop adjustability in the canter and developing the rider's 'eye'
February 20 & 21: Developing Instincts of both the horse and rider – aka survival skills: this lesson will be similar to the first day at a Lucinda Green Clinic where a variety of unusual questions will be set up such as narrow faced fences, points, corners, interesting angles and distances where the rider will learn to ride the horse with the correct rhythm, energy, line and balance so the horse can figure out the answer to these questions. These skills are necessary for riding cross country courses successfully and safely. Even those riders who will never ride a cross country course, these exercises will help to develop the partnership between the horse and rider.
March 6 - 7: Course Work – riders will practice developing the ‘quality’ canter required to jump a course smoothly throughout. Both straight line bending lines practiced before putting it all together in courses. The courses will vary depending on the level of the horse and the rider.
March 20 & 21: Combination Lesson which will have elements of the previous lessons depending on the needs of the horses and riders.
For those of you who have not had the opportunity to ride at ‘His Way Farm’ yet; I would like to share a couple links that will help you find your way and become familiar with this lovely facility: Google map and a clinic report with pics and video. As you can see from the pictures the arena is huge and the lounge very comfy. Please be sure to check out the Google map for His Way Farm before coming as it can be a little tricky.
For those who don't pre-pay online, you may via cash or check. There will be a large envelop for placing the payment. If paying cash please indicate that on the schedule attached to the envelop. Please make checks payable to Stone Gate LLC.
I’m looking forward to working with you and your horse. Here’s hoping the weather cooperates!